Alstom to modernize Virgin's Pendolino in the UK
Tirsdag 22. oktober 2013 kl: 21:58
Alstom has been awarded a contract worth over 12 million euros by Virgin to modernize its entire Pendolino fleet (56 trains). The contract includes the refurbishment of the interiors, bar, kitchen facilities and toilets. The work is being undertaken at two Alstom Traincare Centres, Oxley (Wolverhampton) and Longsight (Manchester) in the United Kingdom, and will be performed over a period of eight months
The trains to be modernized have been running from London to Birmingham or to Glasgow for more than 10 years. The modernization will enhance the comfort of around 20 million passengers traveling each year on these two lines.
The interiors will be improved by the replacement of spotlights with LED lighting that will also help improve energy efficiency, and the improvement of other saloon lighting, including a change to blue luggage rack lighting. The overhaul also includes the application of new vinyl wraps, new decals, new litter bins and a completely new toilet bowl. The toilets will be refreshed, with the toilets for people with reduced mobility also having a new messaging system that tells users when the door is locked. Vestibule venting will be improved and existing carpeting will be replaced.
All catering equipment, including chillers, is being replaced, alongside strategic modifications to the kitchen layout to facilitate cleaning. The kitchen design, which was developed by the Alstom team with Virgin, is intended to offer improved service to passengers, while making it easier to clean and to recycle waste.
Tim Bentley, Managing Director, Mainline at Alstom UK, said: "this project represents an opportunity for Alstom to improve the Pendolino experience for all of Virgin's customers and I'm sure that everyone will see a real difference to their journey".
The works will be performed without impact on train availability following the recent completion of the third heavy engineering overhaul of the entire UK Pendolino fleet.
About Alstom Transport
A promoter of sustainable mobility, Alstom Transport develops and markets the most complete range of systems, equipment and services in the railway sector. Alstom Transport manages entire transport systems, including rolling stock, signalling and infrastructure, and offers "turnkey" solutions. Alstom Transport recorded sales of 5.5 billion euros in the fiscal year 2012-2013. Alstom Transport is present in over 60 countries and employs near 26,700 people.
© Copyright 2018 transportnyhederne.dk. Denne artikel er beskyttet af lov om ophavsret og må ikke kopieres eller på anden måde videreudnyttes uden særlig aftale.
- Truck industry reacts to EU proposal for first-ever CO2 standards
- Remondis expands its activities in Denmark
- Bolloré Logistics acquires Global Solutions in Denmark
- Police hit against iraqi illegal immigration to the EU
- Maersk and IBM to form joint venture applying blockchain to improve global trade and digitise supply chains
- Commission approves Belgian tax measures for maritime transport
- Council reaches agreement
- Six trade unions get together to defend the rights of truck drivers
- Bulk terminals have got a new voice
- Rickmers-Linie takes over Nordana’s Project Business
- World’s first operational road transport hybrid system is ready
- First cross-border truck platooning trial successfully completed
Skriv din kommentar:
|Alle felter skal udfyldes!
Bemærk: For at undgå misbrug bliver din IP adresse logget!