EU Naval Force Flagship provided assistance to released tanker
Tirsdag 12. marts 2013 kl: 21:59
On 8 March EU Naval Force flagship ESPS Méndez Núnez provided much-needed assistance to the crew of chemical tanker MV Royal Grace after the vessel was unexpectedly released by Somali pirates
The pirates had held the vessel after attacking it over a year earlier, on 2 March 2012 in the Gulf of Oman.
ESPS Mendez Nunez was conducting counter-piracy patrols 20 nautical miles off the northern Somali coast, when she sighted MV Royal Grace sailing north from her pirate anchorage at a speed of 4 knots.
Shortly afterwards, ESPS Méndez Núñez received a radio call from the master of MV Royal Grace, who confirmed that his ship was now free of pirates and that his 20-man crew were in need of food, water and medical assistance.
ESPS Méndez Núnez quickly sent her boarding and medical teams across to the Royal Grace, and after proving the crew with food and water, they were checked over, with two being given medical treatment.
MV Royal Grace is currently en route to Muscat under the watchful eye of another EU Naval Force warship, ESPS Rayo.
Speaking about the assistance given to MV Royal Grace, Rear Admiral Bob Tarrant, who is the operation commander of the EU Naval Force said:
- I am relieved that the crew of MV Royal Grace are now safe and on their way home. It has been an extremely worrying time for the men and their families.
© Copyright 2018 transportnyhederne.dk. Denne artikel er beskyttet af lov om ophavsret og må ikke kopieres eller på anden måde videreudnyttes uden særlig aftale.
- Remondis expands its activities in Denmark
- Bolloré Logistics acquires Global Solutions in Denmark
- Police hit against iraqi illegal immigration to the EU
- Maersk and IBM to form joint venture applying blockchain to improve global trade and digitise supply chains
- Commission approves Belgian tax measures for maritime transport
- Council reaches agreement
- Six trade unions get together to defend the rights of truck drivers
- Bulk terminals have got a new voice
- Rickmers-Linie takes over Nordana’s Project Business
- World’s first operational road transport hybrid system is ready
- First cross-border truck platooning trial successfully completed
- GLS and DB Schenker begin parcel partnership in Germany